The Deaf and Hard of Hearing (D/HH) Department is proud to offer high quality Deaf Education services as a shared service provider within the State of New Jersey.
D/HH Student Observations
Our comprehensive classroom observations allow us to observe your student and their classroom environment along with a dialogue with the educational team to provide a thorough, student specific services recommendation report. We are also available for workshops and consultations! Visit our eService page for D/HH student observation services
Our Educational Audiologist is also a NJDOE Certified Teacher of the Deaf who has an unparalleled understanding of the complex and varied hearing, technology and learning needs of D/HH Students. Our “on call” Educational Audiologist is just a text, live visit, phone or video conference call away! ESU’s Educational Audiology Services include:
- In-depth student on-site audiological screenings & assessments
- Assistive listening device troubleshooting and repair services
- Classroom and school-wide acoustic checks and modification recommendations
- Auditory processing disorder screening & rehabilitation
- IEP Meeting attendance
- Best practice audiological workshops for staff (teachers, nurses, other related services personnel)
- Auditory Rehabilitation
- FM and Sound Field Systems recommendations and maintenance
- Visit our eService page for additional Educational Audiology services
Teacher of the Deaf (TOD) services
ESU offers several customized TOD service models to support students in your home district that address student’s highly specific educational needs within a supplemental D/HH educational framework. TOD service models include:
- Hourly Itinerant – For students whose language acquisition, background knowledge, literacy and social skills are comparable to their same age peers
- Children of Deaf Adults (CODA) – CODAs present with unique challenges. While they do not have a hearing loss; their native language is American Sign Language (ASL). Our TODs have expertise in the linguistic development specific to CODAs and possess the skills necessary to bridge the gaps from ASL to English which is necessary for academic success.
- Visit our eService page for additional TOD services
Educational Interpreter Services
Our Educational Interpreters provide much more than just “hands-up interpreting” services, they are truly a part of your District’s Educational Team. Unlike other sign language interpreting services, our professionals work exclusively in education, collect extensive data and have a comprehensive awareness of not only the D/HH learner, but also the specific individual needs of the student as it pertains to their learning environment and academics. In fact, when paired with our Teacher of the Deaf (TOD) services, a true educational team approach is provided. The collaboration of the TOD and Educational Interpreter, along with your in-district educational team, affords D/HH students the best possible environment for success!
Cochlear Implant (CI) Support & Education
For students who are newly implanted, our highly skilled TOD’s have an expertise in CI and will help prepare the student and team for the student return to school. Our best practice services include auditory support and strategies, D/HH language support for speech therapists, environmental awareness, modifications, and intense focus and attention of auditory function and sound discrimination.
Comprehensive D/HH Child Study Team
We are excited to offer a thorough, child centered, Comprehensive Child Study Team services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing students. Evaluations include learning, psychological and speech language with a highly and specific training Educational Interpreters. Please visit our Comprehensive D/HH Child Study Team page for more information.