Online counseling is a growing method of supporting students with a variety of needs, including developing positive coping skills. Good social skills are vital to a child's social-behavioral development and adjustment to school and greatly affect a child's self-esteem. Additionally, poor social skills can have a negative impact on a child’s academic performance.
Online counseling can be used to support students who need additional support outside of school or those who are unable to attend school due to a health condition, need for treatment, court order or exclusion from general education for disciplinary or safety reasons can benefit from online instruction.
We recommend that the sessions are 30 minutes in duration. A progress report will be provided to summarize the attainment of the stated goals. Goals of the program will include:
- Use of coping techniques when frustrated
- Provide strategies to initiate and maintain conversations
- Development of impulse control
- Accept peer criticism constructively and respond appropriately
- Develop peer conflict resolution techniques
- Improve listening skills as well as social interaction skills
- Teach active listening
- Organization and study skills